Sunny Compost has provided our community with a local food scraps drop-off site for over three years, continuing the hard work started by Peter Richter before us.
This year's accomplishments:
- Built a nifty sifter! (Thanks William and Alvin!)
- Held our 4th annual Open House/Smashing Pumpkin event
- Hosted participants of the Queens Compost Bike Tour in June
- Held a Compost Workshop for PS 11 students (Thanks Maddie!)
- Participated in Open Bin NYC in May as part of International Compost Awareness Week
- Started a Twitter account - Follow us @SunnyCompost\
- Started our Snacks & Sifting Sundays on the last Sunday of each month
- Produced more compost than ever and used it in the community space on Barnett Avenue
- Sunny Compost is open year round. Our drop-off hours are on Sundays from 2:00 - 4:00 from November through February and then 2:00 - 5:00
- If the weather is rough or if we don't have any volunteers, you may place your food scraps in the black bin outside the gate. As always, please take your plastic bags or other non-compostables with you.
- Big Reuse food scraps drop off at the Skillman Avenue Greenmarket is open year round! Saturdays, 8 am-2 pm
Skillman Ave between 42 and 43 Street (http://www.bigreuse.org/compost/drop-sites
- We have finished compost if you need any. Makes for a unique gift!
- We welcome new volunteers. Our sign-up sheet is online.
Thank you for being a part of our community's compost program!